Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Seeing Spots

I doodle, a lot. So when I discovered Spoonflower a few months ago, a place where you can design your own fabric, I was all about putting my doodles to work. I have these famous doodles where I just keep drawing dots. Dots, dots, and more dots. Translating dots into a fabric design was interesting. I never did upload the final images to Spoonflower. This was the initial color palette and design:


And the final design that I envisioned upholstering a funky chair with:


Well, the dream of becoming a famous fabric designer has since dissipated. The fabric world has enought Heathers. (Maybe next year.) My love of dots however hasn't. I was semi-inspired by my one of my favorite blogs Young House Love's temporary art for this project. I wanted to add some color in my living room and some art. I really tried finding something on Etsy, but I just couldn't find a series of art that I really liked. And isn't it so much cooler to have original, one-of-a-kind art? No one in the world has it? I love that.

I started with 11 X 15 canvases that I got at A.C. Moore. They were having a 50% off sale on the econo-packs, so I got three 2-packs for $12 (a total of 6 canvases). Can you beat that? 



I really didn't know what I was going to do with them, but I thought I would start by taping them off with a two inch border.


  

Then I just started filling in the rectangle with acrylic craft paint. I thought I had a really great color scheme going, but then decided to paint over top of a few. I finally came up with something that I was pretty happy with though.




After they were all painted I just started painting dots. I tried to come up with six different shapes or designs so that they wouldn't be too similar. I painted the dots with a pearly white paint called platinum.

Sphere

Bubbles

Star

Wave

Cube

Cornered

For once, I'm completely satisfied. Maybe because I have years of experience drawing dots, not paying attention, day dreaming...etc. And by the way, the dots are totally random and took no time. I bet you could do it, too. Look what Clarissa did...



2 comments:

Screaming Meme said...

Very creative! Love the grouping too! Hi, I'm Meme for Screaming Meme. I wanted to personally invite you to my Giveaway Series. My first giveaway is beautiful slipcover. If you get the chance stop in and remember to check back and see what I am giving away next. :) Hope to you see there!

Michelle said...

Did I tell you they look great in person too?